Thank you all so much for your kind words and congratulations on my last post, because so many of you expressed an interest in winning a copy of the Emmeline pattern I have actually picked two winners at random. I hope you enjoy the pattern Nathalie and Helen, drop me an email with your postal details and I will get them out to you 🙂
This week we had a little party at our house, our 20 week scan coincidentally fell on our third wedding anniversary and this somehow developed into us throwing a gender-reveal party that evening! I first heard about the practice from my mother in law and I thought it sounded like such a fun way to find out if we were having a baby girl or boy. So at the scan we closed our eyes while the sonographer examined the evidence and had her write down the gender in a sealed envelope which we delivered (still sealed somehow!) to my sister who opened it and baked a cake with pink or blue icing inside for us to cut at the party.
When our guests arrived we asked them to choose a badge depending on their prediction…
Then once all our guests had eaten some supper and my sister had developed a headache from the burden of knowledge we gathered everyone around and cut the cake…
..which was filled with blue icing! Neither of us had any kind of preference and we are both delighted to be having a baby boy…and its lovely to say ‘him’ now rather than ‘it’. It was such a fun way to find out and made for a very memorable anniversary! 🙂
I wore a recent creation that evening which has become a firm maternity favourite; an adapted Colette Hawthorn blouse.
I have had this pattern in my collection since it was launched and had actually planned to make it (pre-pregnancy) as the dress but from somewhere the idea of a bump friendly blouse popped into my head. I went up a size from normal as I have expanded from excessive biscuit consumption and did all my normal alterations: square shoulders. long upper body and shallow armscyes. I also divided the dart allowance into a bust dart as well as a waist dart as felt it would look more balanced with the maternity adjustment i needed to made to the waist. Then i made up the bodice section without a peplum attached and worked out in the mirror where the baby friendly empire waist needed to be. I didn’t think the semi-circular shape of the peplum would be very flattering at the present time and so drafted a simple A-line peplum with a little extra fullness in the front, drawn into gathers either side of the button stand.
This shape seems to work well at this point and the slight definition between bust and bump helps to give me some semblance of a figure. I plan on making a floral version and possibly an extended dress version should the weather warm up enough for me to want to lose my
jeans very stretchy denim leggings. This version is made from a very soft dotted Swiss cotton voile from my stash.
Hawthorn is a lovely pattern that manages to take the timeless vintage features of a shirt dress and tweak them into a less boxy, more flattering garment. The slightly lowered neckline and delicate collar are particularly friendly to rounded cheeks that I find classic 1950s shirt-dresses exacerbate as so it turns out, do babies 😉 I will absolutely be returning to this pattern post pregnancy and look forward to making it with its original style lines.
Hope you’ve had a lovely weekend. Thanks for reading 🙂